Tuesday 6 August 2013

Origins of this Project

ORIGINS

For the last four years I have been living and working in the South of  France, primarily as a painter of the natural world - plants, trees and other natural forms.

Golden Plant - Mike Healey

When I moved to Greece (Corfu) a year ago, I decided to try and combine both painting and writing - if that were at all possible.

In this short period I have produced no less than three new books (crime thrillers) and have two historical adventure stories in the pipeline. Since the crime rate on this tranquil island is negligible, it is very conducive to murder and mayhem of the imagination!


Mouse Island - Corfu

I have not yet had an opportunity to exhibit my paintings here in Corfu but there is a chance later this year to show my work in a beautiful gallery in Corfu Town, the capital of the island.

It is to that end that I am currently working.

The idea to include poems in this project arose when I began to think about how to title and 'explain' my work. 

Here in Greece it is reasonable to assume that many will know about the ancient Greek god Dionysus (better known by his Roman name perhaps - Bacchus, pagan god of wine). 

However,  not many people will know his origins, the nature of his cult or how he was received in Greece since he was in act a 'foreign import' from Asia Minor.

 Dionysus

This meant extensive and intrusive 'signage' for the exhibition. 

Rather than do that I resolved to write a number of short poems that would not only describe the god's 'history' but also go some way to explain the paintings and drawings themselves.

The idea that this could also result in a short, illustrated book to accompany the exhibition (as opposed to a conventional catalog) was an additional attraction. 

And so, that is what I am about to do.

You can - if you care to - watch my progress (or lack of it!) in subsequent pages of this blog!

Mike Healey

No comments:

Post a Comment